Wednesday, November 7, 2012

It's Almost Real

I was taking a break, and giving you a break, from all the election...stuff.  Now that it has passed I can move on with my life.  This in no way negates any feelings I have about said election. 

To finish off my reading list is this book:  A Survivor's Guide to Home Schooling by Shackelford/White.

Again a 1988 version.  I sense a theme.  I exited the public education scene in the 80's and this is where I pick up when trying to research it?  Sort of.  This is a book at Half Price Book Store.  What should I say about this book?  It nailed it.  It is almost real.  Just the schedules, assessments of your neighbors inferior children, and discipline caught my eye.  I appreciated the many examples of how other moms/dads are inflicting their curriculum. 

I talked with several parents after reading this book.  One who has home schooled and one who has not.  The one who home schooled was supportive but focused more on websites that have helped her kids get ahead in reading and math.  She gave me websites to find grade appropriate wholesome reading,  I'm following her advice and we are 10 chapters deep into Charlotte's Web.  Beauty still doesn't know if Charlotte is really Wilbur's friend or just a bloodthirsty killer.  Our next selections will be Alice In Wonderland, Through The Looking Glass, Little House In The Big Woods, and Little House on the Prairie.  Mr. Father says we need to include Moby Dick.  And so we shall.

My other friend has her child in a private school.  The child cannot follow the rules of being still.  The parents are wondering if it's time to pull her out due to the child acting like a regular child or do they tough it out another semester.  I'm passing on my websites to see if it will help them.  Their daughter also plays violin and so is gifted in that area.  *Have We Outgrown The Public School System?*  That is a big question I have. 

Everyone else I have talked to have been supportive.  Even the couple we had over for dinner on Sunday.  They home schooled their son many years ago.  At some point I mentioned, "How can a person actually fail kindergarten?"  Apparently one of them had.  So, foot in mouth, I accepted defeat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment