Sunday, November 11, 2012

First Trial Day

Last week we saw one of the usual school illnesses:  sore throat and fever.  Beauty stayed home and looked flushed, then normal, then flush.  She took her medicine and still looked a little puny that night.  I resolved that I would let her stay home one more day.

The next day Beauty told me very seriously that she was sure her throat was still sore and really would need to stay home and play outside.  

Mr. Father and Mrs. Mother were already on to her game and quite sure that Beauty was faking it.  *Gasp*

Mrs. Mother decided we would pull out ALL the books she had bought during the summer and would just have a trial of homeschool for the sickly child.  The worst that could happen is she would fall asleep.  

Beauty thought this was a wonderful idea.  She still had homework from regular school to complete so we did that first.  I had determined that we would work for 3 hours to see if we could really do a solid day's work.  She practiced her handwriting, read, and did math worksheets.  

     I even gave her buttons to use to help her with math.  It turns out she doesn't need them.  This is a huge relief to me.  She's further ahead in math than I suspected.  She spent her time dividing all the buttons into matching piles.  This led Mr. Father to look at me and shake his head in the way that implies she is a little more organized than he prefers, like her mother.  

At the end of the day I told Mr. Father, "You know, I didn't realize it but we have everything we need.  We are ordering her official curriculum next week, but we have all the subjects she needs right now and we could pursue those more intensively till the curriculum arrives.  We could pull her out of school."

Mr. Father said, "Then pull her out of school."

And that's exactly what I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment