Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Bowling for Exercise

During the cold winter months we're having a hard time finding physical activities that we like and don't cost an arm and a leg.  It doesn't snow here otherwise we would happily be outside every day.  Nope, it rains here.  It is dreary.  It is cold.  It is damp.  Exercise usually consists of one of us walking across the room and looking out the window then walking back to our couch/bed/chair.  On tolerable or short chore days we will work in the garden for an hour.  I don't like to ride bikes in the winter.  

As for classes we have to pay for such as dance, gymnastics, horse riding, we will have to wait.  We've been hit with the new taxes and healthcare bug and so far estimate losing around $300 per month.  So paying for classes is out of the question for now.

We stumbled on an alternative.  Bowling.  I love bowling.  I've bowled for years, though not seriously.  I played on a league once because I got a free ball at the end.  I also took a semester of bowling in college because it seemed more fun than running around a track.  

Anyway.  Once a year Mr. Father will take me bowling as he says, "to give me an ego boost."  This is because Mr. Father sucks at bowling.  In fact, this is the only game I can beat him at.  This time we found out that Beauty likes bowling, too.  A lot.  And it's cheap.  Like $2 a game cheap.



It also takes a long time.  Child bowlers are notorious for rolling the ball very slowly, almost painfully, to the pins.  The pins aren't so much knocked down as laid down, like they're taking a nap.  Kids tend to look funny bowling.  They have trouble walking and trying to wield their 5 pound cannon ball. 


Here are our scores at the end.  Beauty is asking when we can go bowling again.  I think we'll be able to do this once a week.  Part of our exercise problem solved!

No comments:

Post a Comment