Sunday, October 21, 2012

Why I Read Ancient Texts On Homeschooling

I've completed the first book and have moved on to this one.  I'm not particularly happy with the picture but that's what Amazon is showing.  Do not click to look inside!
It's not that I feel savvy and have picked the right books, that I am telling you about them.  I'm posting books I seem to have bought somewhere and thought they would be helpful.  Happily they have been helpful.

Along the path of trying to justify homeschooling to myself, I will have to justify it to others.  This is where reasoning is important.  If I can't convince myself, I can't convince others.  This is what I'm looking for in these books.  So when people ask, "Why in tarnation would you want to homeschool?"  I can spout off a hundredy-thousand statistics about how homeschoolers do better on tests, are higher developed in all areas of life, and the public school system has essentially been around for less than 2 hundred years.

I will need this arsenal of information to go into battle, as it were, and pivot through a debate successfully.  I'm finding friends on my side are supportive, hesitant, and in some cases obstinate.  So faithfully has the public school model worked on them.  

At this point Beauty is still enrolled in public school.  She's receiving the statistical average of 7 minutes of individual attention per day in her class.  We haven't even gotten to the hard parts.  Withdrawing her from school and then actually telling everyone we did.  I believe we shall reap a whirlwind.  Forget talking about curriculum!  No, really, the choice is about 95% made and I don't want to risk being talked out of it.  I'll reveal my choice when I receive it in it's glorious brown box from UPS.  (Please don't hold your breath, it's not being ordered till December.)

No comments:

Post a Comment