Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Latest Steps

O.k.  So where did we leave off?  I was reading a book.  I'm on page 97 of The How And Why of Home Schooling.  It's pretty good.  There have been a few spots that are a little leading and probably done to inspire fear.  Looking at some data from other web sites, the stats in the book are in line with other sources.  I'll move on to the next book soon.

My husband, Mr. Father, got an app today for home schooling.  It's called My Home School Monitor.  He says, "it's a 5 star app for $.99."  He also says it has "everything."  That will be his way of tracking and organizing the things he will be teaching.  I will keep a record on ancient papyrus while he has the latest techno-gadgetry. 

Today I received an email from Homeschool.com.  Did I or didn't I want to receive a free manual and links to free videos from superchargedscience?  Sure, why not.  Having no idea what we're doing for science we might as well look at everything.  This could work for us in the beginning.  I'll let you know if we come back to it.

I talked with a few more people I know and they seem understanding.  I said a lot of things like, "This is what's right for our family for right now."  That seems to go over better than saying, "The public school system is going down the toilet."  I still have to be very cautious what I say at work, or what Mr. Father says at his work.   

I was told to look up a "reading calculator" on Google.  I picked one and typed in word for word the book Beauty is reading in school.  It analyzed it and revealed it has easy readability.  For the grade level it said....7th grade.  That's fantastic!  I'm not sure if this info is trustworthy.  Beauty's school says she's reading on a C level which is the bottom for 1st grade.  Which of these should I believe? 

Mr. Father was asked by Mrs. Mother (me) to do a sort of review of tablets, ipads, Kindles, and the new ipad mini(?).  The public school has started using Ipads.  The time is limited and I'm not sure what they are using to clean them between uses.  Cootie-germ fest!  At home, Beauty has been using an Itouch for several years, a netbook and PC.  I'd like her to either get the Ipad or the Ipad mini.  Update sometime in November.

My big progress for today was asking to join a local home schooling Yahoo group.  We got accepted and now we can begin to meet other local kids and families.  This group so far likes to meet at the local library and the park, except the other day where they met at the glass spinning factory.  That sounds very neat!  Exactly the kind of adventure I think Beauty should try. 

I believe tomorrow I'll be ready to dive in and navigate around one of the important web sites I'll need.  The Texas Home School Coalition.

No comments:

Post a Comment