Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Homesteading Unit

I've decided we are going to work on a homesteading unit.  I'm not sure of all the details yet.  We've been doing a few things that I will now organize and officially call a Homesteading Unit.  Two things we have been working on:
  • Gardening
  • We read Little House In the Big Woods
I recently ordered a movie off Amazon.  This is Volume 1.  There are 4 volumes so far.  Click on the pic to order off Amazon.


I've watched about half of this and it will work for watching in short segments.  The kids are doing almost all the work.  I was really surprised with how capable the children are at cutting vegetables.

Continuing with this unit we have:
  • Started reading Little House on the Prairie
  • Made Beauty take more responsibility with jobs in the garden
Things I want to do:
  • Research about plants Beauty is growing
  • Research about bugs we find
  • Drawing plants/bugs for art
  • Harvesting vegetables/fruit
  • Cooking and preserving the harvest
Is anyone else working on a unit like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment