Sunday, January 13, 2013

Ended the Week Both Up and Down

We've come to the end of week 9.  I've seen some recent attitude changes in Beauty.  They aren't good changes.  It's nothing terrible.  I think we are going through some boundary testing.  I believe it came from the break the public school had and a brief 2 week change in my work schedule.  

I still like our schooling.  I feel I have lots of choices about how the day goes and where it will take us.  The amount of time Beauty is spending is 2-3 hours per day on her work.  She typically is most comfortable starting at exactly noon.  I like this, too.  I'm not an early riser with an intent to start working.  I like to get up around 8:00 and have my coffee, work on some housework and then feel like I can relax and work with her on schoolwork.  After schoolwork we're heading towards dinner plans and some play time outside.  After dinner we are usually taking care of the nighttime routine and picking out books to read.  After bedtime Mr. Father and I party like it's 1899.  Or at least that is what Beauty is sure we are up to.

My only down moment this week was during the homeschool playgroup.  Pretty much all the moms in this group are in the same program.  They are using Classical Conversations.  The way I understand it is they meet every Monday and pretty much all the homeschoolers in this little town are in it.  I know this isn't true because we aren't in it and I know one other mom who isn't.  Anyway, they meet on Mondays and work on the Classical Conversations curriculum all day.  The parents are also required to be a teacher at some point.  The rest of the week the kids work on things at home that relate to the curriculum.  It seems like the bridge program between homeschool and a regular school.  They also work along a timeline.  So whatever period of the timeline they are on they are studying the various history, composers, artists, etc. of that time.  I like that part about it.  However, it is one the one day Mr. Father and Mrs. Mother both work.  Plus, I'm not too keen on teaching other kids.  

Somethings else they all have their kids in is violin lessons.  With the same teacher.  It's starting to feel a little Stepford here.  I thought homeschooling was more about doing your own thing, not the same thing everyone else is doing.  I honestly don't think I could stay in the house if I had to listen to Beauty learning the violin.  I know what it sounds like when someone is trying to learn and practicing a lot.  It sounds awful.  Pretty much like you're killing a cat.  I wouldn't last 10 minutes listening to it.  I guess we will have to relegate ourselves to feeling a little left out of this group.  

The good thing that happened this week was bowling.  I took Beauty bowling again to see if she still likes it.  She actually got better.  Friday morning is the little old lady league day.  Beauty enjoyed being the center of attention while lobbing her ball and hearing all the little old ladies giggle and say how cute she is.  I guess we will stick with bowling for now.

One other good thing for this week.  The lady at work who was thinking about homeschooling her two kids decided to go for it.  The kids are enjoying it and dad is loving being the primary teacher.  

Next week:  We are starting subtraction.  I should probably buy beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment